Monday, March 29, 2010

Excerpt from actual FLE4 student discussion.

 I copied the last 13 (of 100 total) comments that students posted to the question: How do ‘children’ end up looking similar to, but still different from, their ‘parents’? mentioned in the previous post.  I removed all student names and links to the discussion.  This site doesn't get indexed by search engines, as well.  Of the 12 some kids mentioned in class, there was only 1 girl (my program has an automotive/construction concentration).

There is nothing special about this selection, although it is from a section that was entirely produced during the 30 minute 'exam'.  The only editing changes I made to this discussion were the ones mentioned above designed to remove identifying information.  On the actual blog page, each of the 5 knowledge types: Problem (including questions), My Explanation, Scientific Explanation, Process Comment, Summary, has it's own representative color to visually distinguish it's role in the discussion.

Note that neither grammar nor spelling were mentioned as assessment criteria :)  On a future post here I'll provide some thoughts on FLE4 discussions.  Feel free to add your thoughts below.


  1.  Problem
    FemaleA  says:
    I am interested in studying does the first words you say depend on what gene was passed down to you like did you say the same thing your mom say first or the same thing your dad said


    • My Explanation
      MaleA  says:
      ithink that the your first words are influanced by what you hear around you and you get used to hearing that so you eventaly match the sound


      • My Explanation
        MaleB  says:
        i think the first words a baby will say is the one that you say the most the baby will remember then repeat it


  2. Problem
    FemaleA  says:
    I would like to find out is there a certain kind of habit you can get from your parents like smoking,biting your nails etc…


  3. Problem
    MaleB  says:
    if a dwarf is born is it because there parents are short or is it a genetic mutation?


  4. Problem
    MaleC  says:
    If a mother had twins does that mean that they would both get the same traits or diffrent?


    • My Explanation
      MaleD  says:
      I Think That They Wouldn’t Get The Same Traits But Carry The Same Genes…


    • My Explanation
      FemaleA  says:
      I think that…even tho they look alike that one of them my favor the tributes of their father and the other might favor their mother..


    • My Explanation
      MaleB  says:
      if the twins were born identical they will have the exact same genes. faternal twins have diffrent genes


  5. Scientific Explanation
    MaleE  says:
    Each person in this world is unique. When parents give their traits to the child, two alleles are given, a Dominant and a recessive trait. There’s many combinations of all kinds of traits. For example, noses, height, bone structures, faces and other defining characteristics, and thats why each person is unique.


  6. Problem
    FemaleA  says:
    I would like to find out when a child is born and say if their parent they look up to is drug dealing does it most likely mean that their going to be doing it too..


    • My Explanation
      MaleA  says:
      it could..but it has nothing to do with traits it’s what you row up around that will determan that not your traits


  7. Problem
    MaleF  says:
    how does a baby get a disease from their parents before being born?

No comments:

Post a Comment